The Canon Teaching Tools are a set of digital resources designed to support the teaching and learning of the history of technical theatre. The tools include models, visualisations, recordings, drawings, designs, templates, and so on. The tools have been developed by the Canon team because they are a valuable part of their teaching; in many cases, the tools are directly linked to the Canon teaching methodologies, which give guidance on how the tools can be used.
Of course, you are also encouraged to find new uses for the tools as part of your own teaching and learning. Most of the tools can also be used for independent study, so whether you are a student, a teacher, a professional, a researcher or a curious member of the public, we hope you find the tools helpful, perhaps even inspiring, in your engagement with the history of technical theatre.
All Subject Areas
- An evening in the Großen Schauspielhaus - Berlin 1927, visit Berlin 1927 and explore the VR-reconstruction of the famous theatre with Walter, Fritzi and Otto.
- Canon Anno Teatri card game, learn about the history of technical theatre in an entertaining way.
- Dialogues on staging, look at the interpretation of "Quatro Dialoghi in materia di rapresentazioni sceniche" (Leone de' Sommi).
- Sabbattini in 3D, walk through an interpretation of the drawings and text of Sabbattini's "Pratica di fabricar scene e machine ne' teatri"
- Globe theatre 3D model, walk through the Globe theatre in London.
- Hellerau 3D model, walk through the Festspielhaus Hellerau in Dresden and its surroundings.
- Theatre planning model kit, explore the practical issues with planning a theatre.
Lighting and Projection
- Cloud machine 3D model, explore a Schwabe & Co cloud projector from c. 1922.
- Grand master simulation, operate an early electric stage lighting control system.
Props and special effects
- The Letters of Suzdal in 3D, walk through an interpretation of the flying technology used in the Florences "sacre rappresentazioni" based on the letters of Suzdal.
Sound, Music and Amplification
- Wind machine Animation, experience a mechanical wind machine.
Stage Mechanics and Sets
- Chain hoist animation, explore the deconstruction of a chain hoist.
- Wooden machinery construction drawings, build your own wooden machinery on scale one to four.